Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Secret Runner

Steve can no longer keep it a secret that he is running.  Last weekend we went to work at the lakehouse and then headed over to Hayesville for the SpikeBuck Fun Run.  Steve found out about this race through a FaceBook friend.  I hadn't planned on participating, but at the last minute decided I would walk/jog the race  for some exercise.  Steve was disappointed with his time but I was delighted that I finished it and jogged more than I walked.

Several days later, I received a phone call from the race coordinator that I had won a medal.  I won the silver medal --I don't know for which category.  There were probably not more than 30 runners in this race and I think I was the second woman to finish, but there were not more than 6 women in all.  

I enjoyed the race so much I searched for races in the St Simons area for Saturday, October 18.  I discovered the Brunswick Stewbilee just a couple of miles from SSI.  I registered to participate. (Steve could not participate because he had scheduled to have a technician on the boat for some repairs before we leave SSI.  I was definitely not needed for any engine room work. 

The Stewbilee started at 8:30 in the morning and was completely flat--unlike the Spikebuck race which was begun at 6:00pm and was in the hills of Hayesville NC.  The course began at the historic waterfront park and wound around the beautiful residential streets of Brunswick.  I started slow and just kept plugging along and managed to jog the entire course.  I am very proud to say that I won third place in my age group!  Looking forward to my next race! 






No comments:

Post a Comment