Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Almond Joy Cheesecake

Katy requested an Almond Joy Cheesecake for her birthday.  She sent me to Creations by Kara for the recipe.  Click on Creations by Kara to see her directions and photos.  I think mine turned out almost as good as hers.  I changed the cooking times and I used slivered almonds instead of sliced. 










Almond Joy Cheesecake
Ingredients
Crust
1 1/2 cups finely crushed Oreo crumbs
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
Filling
4 8oz pkgs cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted and cooled
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled ( I used slivered almonds)
Topping
6 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted and cooled
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled ( I used slivered almonds)
Directions
For crust Preheat oven to 350°. Combine Oreo crumbs, coconut, sugar, and butter. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and about an inch up the sides of a springform pan. Bake for about 10 minutes. I used a 10 inch spring form pan. Cool for 10 minutes. 
Filling: Beat cream cheese till smooth. Add sugar and beat till creamy. Lightly beat in the eggs, extracts, and salt till combined. Fold in the coconut and almonds. Pour mixture on top of the crust. Turn oven down to 325° and bake for about 75 more minutes or until the outer 2 1/2" is set. Remove from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack. ( I changed these times--see Note below)
Topping: Heat cream in a glass bowl in the microwave until hot but not boiling. Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Let sit for about a minute, then stir till smooth. Pour over the top of the cheesecake, letting some drip down the sides. Sprinkle toasted coconut in the middle and toasted almonds around the edges. Chill.

Note:  I did not follow the directions for baking times.  Every time a bake a cheesecake, it cracks.  I followed some directions I found on the internet to prevent cracking--it worked.  I did this instead:  Bake half an hour at 300° F / 150° C. Then, turn off the oven, open the oven door, and rest for 30 minutes. Then, close the oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes more at 300° F / 150° C.





Let me know if you try out this recipe.  Thanks to Kara for sharing.  It is delicious!!!

Joy







No comments:

Post a Comment