Monday, May 12, 2014

Husband's Delight

Cook, Cook, Cook and more Cooking... That is what I have been doing this week.  Steve is taking Meandering Joy from St. Petersburg, to St. Simons Island next week.  He has a crew of three other men.  I am not going along on this trip in person, but I am sending food for the crew.  Why? 

Steve can do many things very well---cooking is not one of those things.  While he is content to eat a frozen pizza or chips and salsa for every meal of the day with some Pop Tarts thrown in for good measure, I was not about to let his crew starve to death while they are with him.  I am sure they will stop for dinners, but it is not feasible to stop for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if they want to cover 600 miles in ten days.  

One of the family favorites is Husband's Delight.  It is an old recipe I got out of the First Baptist Lawrenceville Cookbook many many years ago.  








I I like to assemble all my ingredients neatly now when I cook.  I have become a little bit more organized .  


Mixing the green onions and sour cream
After stirring the browned ground beef and the spaghetti sauce, begin layering 1/2 the noodles, topped with 1/2 the ground beef topped with 1/2 the sour cream mixture.  Repeat the process once more and then load on the cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, throw together a salad during that time and dinner is ready.  This is a great recipe to freeze.  I doubled the recipe and made several--two for the boat trip and one for Lainey--this may be her favorite recipe except of course for any of my cheesecakes.


Ingredients



·         8 oz pkg cream cheese

·         3 green onions, chopped

·         2 TBS butter

·         1- 8oz pkg egg noodles

·         1 tsp salt

·         1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

·         2 cup sour cream

·         1 1/2 lbs ground beef

·         2 -8oz tomato sauce (I substitute 16 oz spaghetti sauce for this)

·         1 tsp sugar

·         Dash pepper

·         1/2 cup shredded cheddar

 Directions


In bowl mix softened cream cheese, sour cream and green onions.  Brown the ground beef, drain, add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce OR (16 oz of your favorite spaghetti sauce).    Cook noodles as directed on package.  In 2 qt casserole, alternate layers of 1/2 noodles, 1/2 beef, 1/2 sour cream mixture and repeat.  Top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees until warm throughout and browned.

 Printable recipe here.

Let me know if you try out the recipe.  I would like to know if you like it as much as my family.  

Joy






No comments:

Post a Comment