Friday, March 29, 2013

Provisioning

We have been preparing for this trip to the Bahamas for weeks.  I have been stocking up on food, paper products, cleaning supplies, etc for about two months.  I have been seen loading up two grocery carts in the past to avoid having to return too quickly.  Today was one of those days where I could have used two carts.  I was in Wal-Mart in Dania Beach, Florida with all the Easter shoppers.  I just couldn't bring myself to trot around with two carts avoiding all the other shoppers and workers who were busily restocking all the shelves.

After getting most of my items at Wal Mart, I headed back to the marina and passed by Publix to get the remainder of our items.  We are planning to be away for about 8 weeks.  That means 7 days of meals for 8 weeks 3 times a day for at least 2 people.I think that is about 336 meals.    We hope that some family and friends will be joining us too so that means even more meals.  Don't get me wrong--we want visitors.    The reason we want to stock up rather than purchase there is because everything purchased in the Bahamas can cost much more than what we pay in the US. 

I am sure its odd to take a picture of one's freezer, but I am so impressed with myself and with the organizational beauty of my freezer, that I just couldn't resist.  I wish my Home Ec Teacher could see me now.

j

Just some of the food in the pantry, we have even more storage under the settee in the salon

My freezer at home was never this organized--key to neatness--re-bag every thing so they are all foods are packaged the  same size and they fit neatly



I remember talking to the Home Economics teacher at when I was a  first year teacher.  She told me at New Years that it was so easy to cook black eyed peas that she always volunteered for that food at her family gathering.  I opened my mouth and stuck in my foot--I whole heartedly agreed with her and said yeah--all you have to do is open a can.  How much easier can it get?, I asked.  She coughed to stifle her laugh at me and said, Joy, I was talking about dried black eyed peas soaked in water and cooked with ham hocks.  OOOPS!  She was not too impressed with my cooking skills.  She would be proud to see how I have grown.

My freezer has the following:

1 Bag of Bagels
2 Bags of English Muffins
8 Ice Cream Sandwiches
1/2 Gallon Moose Tracks Ice Cream
2 Flank Steaks
6 NY Strip
2 Chuck Roasts
5 lb ground beef already browned
2 lb ham for sandwiches
2lb turkey for sandwiches
3 turkey tenderloin
2 pork loin
1 pork tenderloin
1 lb ground venison
2 lb venison stew beef
29 chicken breasts
3-oz bags of shrimp
5 salmon filet
14 tilapia filet
2 pie crusts
4 QT bags Normandy Vegetable Mix
1 QT bag baby butter beans
4 QT bags stir fry vegetables
1 QT corn (from Thompson Family Farms)
2 QT pepper, tomato, onion, medley
2 QT sliced carrots
6 QT broccoli
2 QT Yellow Squash
5 QT Green Beans
8 cups mexi-cheese

I have also stocked up on canned vegetables, tuna, boxed items, tea, sugar, coffee etc.  We have 7 jars of salsa and 7 bags of tortilla chips, 2 bags of pretzels, and 2 bags of chips.  48 cokes, 24 diet coke, fresca, ginger ale, root beer, diet ginger ale and 48 bottles of water.

The fridge is full of salad stuff, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and 1 gallon of milk--we also have boxed milk--we will see how that goes over.  I don't drink much milk, but Steve insisted he would drink this milk. 

Our favorite boat food is Wasabi Almonds--we have 7 cans.  It's embarrassing--but these are very very good.

We have heard that when at anchor at at the marina in the Bahamas, there are gatherings almost every night where everyone brings a favorite appetizer to share and enjoy meeting new cruisers.  Because we never shy away form having a party--we are stocked up in anticipation of inviting boaters over to chat & eat.

We are super excited about heading over to Bimini in the next few days.  It looks like we are going to be here another day or so since we have heard reports of high winds.  Steve has already told me that I am to lie down if the winds are high --sounds a little scary to me.

I hope I remember to take an inventory when we return to see exactly how much of everything we used.

No comments:

Post a Comment