Tuesday, May 13, 2014

St. Pete to St. Simons- Day One

Steve left St. Petersburg, FL today to move the boat to St. Simons, GA.  As I have mentioned before, our insurance company prefers we have the boat above the hurricane Line by June 1. They don't just prefer, they insist, unless we want to pay more for our insurance.  We don't--so we move.  The hurricane line is at Brunswick, Georgia.   I am not making this trip with Steve, because we thought I would stay and help Caroline move back home after graduation.  Alas--she has found a place to stay free of charge until the end of May when she will come home to be in a wedding--so I could have gone.  Steve found three willing souls to go with him on this trip--Robby Paul, Charles Sanders and Spencer McCrosky. 

They all arrived at the house yesterday morning.  I gave them all my rules about the boat--mainly--get her to St. Simons safely or don't come back.  I gave the cooking instructions to Robby because he seems to be the only one with kitchen skills.  I don't want to sell Charles short--he may have some cooking skills, I just don't know.   Spencer and Steve know how to find a restaurant when hungry but that's about it.

The plan was to leave Isla Del Sol this morning and head out into the Gulf of Mexico, make it to Captiva Island and go inside to the ICW (Intracoastal Waterway).  If I remember correctly this is an 80 mile trip--should take about 8 hours.  Last night when I spoke with Steve, he was concerned that the winds were about 22 knots and it might not be a good day to go out.  I cautioned him not to do anything risky just because he had the boys with him.  

I received this picture early this morning--looks like they are doing well this morning!

Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment