Thursday, March 12, 2015

Arrival at Bimini




We arrived in Bimini around 2:30 on Friday, March 6.  It was a comfort knowing that John & Holly on Southern Cross were traveling with us.  We docked next to one another at Bimini Sands.  A nice gentleman named "Deter" with a German accent came out to help us tie up.  He said he must help me as he was a member of the Ocean Reef Club just like me.  I accepted his help and acted as if I were a member, hoping he would not ask me for the secret handshake or other member code word.  After helping Southern Cross get tied off, I confessed to Deter.  He told me he had mistaken our Fleming burgee for the Ocean Reef Burgee--I supposed this is easy to do since we hear that many Fleming owners are indeed Ocean Reef members.  

Steve and John took the taxi to the customs office to get us check in and legal.  While there Steve sees someone wearing a Sea Island shirt.  That is just the invitation Steve needs to start off a conversation.  It so happens that we have mutual friends--Jody & Linda Smith and their daughter and son in law.  Small world!
When they returned, we took down the quarantine flag and hung the Bahamian flag.  Our US flag flies all the time, but we must fly a small Bahamian flag while here.   

The Partridge Family Bus was waiting at the Bimini Sands Entrance to take us to the water taxi to Alicetown where we wanted to purchase a phone.Yes, it was really painted like the old bus in the Partridge Family Sitcom from the seventies(?).   Holly and I were singing "I Think I love you" while boarding.  Thankfully we were the only ones aboard and the driver didn't really care what we sang as long as we provided some tip money.

We were the last customers of the day at the local Batelco office.  The ladies there were very helpful and got us set up with our phones.  They sent us on our way locking up as we closed the doors.  After a stop at Big Johns for fried fish and conch fritters, we took the ferry back to south Bimini to wash down a salt encrusted Meandering Joy.  

Shadow of Steve, Joy, Holly & John walking through Alicetown


Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment