Tuesday, March 3, 2015

More Provisioning Tips

Kathy on No Zip Code recommended the Food Saver Vacuuming System.  Kathy is about to begin the Great Loop, but has sailed much of the Caribbean and through the Bahamas where grocery stores are not on every corner or marina or anchorage along the way.  She sent over the Food Saver device and told me where to get the bags which can be cut to a preferred size and then vacuum sealed preserving many foods up to 5 times longer than ordinary storage methods.  I am thankful Kathy loaned me the device and see how this could be very helpful when I am at home in the summer and feel the need to freeze some  Silver Queen corn or butter peas we get from the local farmer's market.  

I used the vacuuming system for my frozen items including chicken, ground beef and some vegetables.  I also used it for corn tortillas which come in a huge bag with too many tortillas to eat at one meal.  I divided the bag into 4 smaller stacks, sealed in a bag and tossed into the freezer.   



Joy


1 comment:

  1. Those are supposed to be great things! I've contemplated one for storing BBQ.
    Sounds like good progress toward making the jump south.

    ReplyDelete