Thursday, March 19, 2015

Rats, Bats and Hutia?




We are looking forward to seeing the swimming pigs at Staniel Cay in the Central Exumas.  I have never seen a swimming pig and I am assuming that most of you who read this post have not seen swimming pigs.   I generally like my pigs cooked on a Big Green Egg by one of my readers on Lake Hartwell. (Hoping for an invitation to join them this summer)  Before we get to Staniel Cay and the swimming pigs the mammals we are most likely to encounter are rats or bats.  Can you hear the gleeful sound in my voice as I say this out loud?  Did you know that rodents and bats are the most abundant species of mammals on earth?  Neither did I.

The Bahamas boast 12 species of bats.  We are most likely to see the leaf nosed bats which have an appendage which is leaf shaped that they use as radar.  These bats help keep down the mosquito population-which makes me appreciate them greatly.  Bats are nocturnal and since I am not- I don't think we will get into each others way while I am visiting.  

The two species of rats in the Exumas are also nocturnal--Yippee!  I would rather run into a bat or a cat or a big fat gnat than a rat and that is that! (Oops I am channeling Dr. Seuss again) The rats in the Exumas are either brown which prefer water and thus can be found where there are people, and black rats which don't need a lot of water and can build their little rat packs in the forest and field.  

There is another rodent which lives in the Exumas.  The hutia has a chunky body, stubby neck, short ears and a short tail. The Hutia are somehow related to the porcupine and the chinchilla.   Hutia have been kept as pets and used as a food source, proving their adaptability to societal needs. After the Hutia populations declined, it became a protected species and can generally only be found at the Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park.  Today, they have almost over populated certain areas and are extinguishing much of the vegetation in their habitat.  

Tomorrow-a lesson on Amphibians in the Bahamas. (If I can get an internet connection)

Joy




1 comment:

  1. Working on some new Q recipes for that BGE. We always enjoy having the crew from Meandering Joy come for a visit - let's make a plan.

    ReplyDelete