Thursday, November 22, 2012

November 22, 2012


November 22, 2012

The excitement of this Thanksgiving Day woke me early this morning.
  The snoring of my husband of 26 years helped me to decide to get up to start celebrating the day just a little bit earlier than usual.  Caroline made it home yesterday just before lunch while Granny and I were deciding how to set up for lunch today.  Lainey went to see her friends at the YMCA and to get in some swimming time.  Katy made her way back home about 8:00 and told us her patients survived the day, but she was exhausted.  

I am making the turkey and dressing for lunch today.  The turkey should not be a problem 4 to 41/2 hours in an 325 degree oven.   I used the recipe Martha Layson gave me many years ago.  Mama is coming over to make the gravy.  I remembered that I don't have a gravy boat yesterday afternoon.   Suzy is going to bring one on her way over here today for us to use. 


Southern Cornbread Dressing
Ingredients

6 cups crumbled cornbread
3 cups soft bread crumbs
4 oz butter
2 cups chopped onion
2 cup finely chopped celery
3-4 cups chicken broth
1 TBS sage
1.5 tsp thyme
1 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs

Preparation

Combine all crumbs.  Melt butter and sauté onion and celery.  Don't brown.  Combine onion and celery, with bread, stir in chicken broth and seasonings and eggs.  Spread in shallow pan 10x15.  Bake 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Habakkuk 3:17-18, Psalm 46:1

Being ever thankful for a loving God and all the many blessings He has given does not mean denial of the difficulties one may encounter.  





No comments:

Post a Comment