Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Marine Bargains



I can remember when Peachtree Salvage Store opened in my hometown.  One of my favorite things to do was to wander around this store sifting through the sweaters hoping to find a bargain.  I found a green sweater for about 7 dollars  that I wore all through college.  I still love going through these bargain, flea market type shops hoping to find a bargain.
While visiting  New Mexico on a trip in 2010 with our daughter's physics class , we toured The Black Hole  The teacher who put together the trip loved to take the students to unusual sites.   The Black Hole was started by Ed Grunthus who worked at Los Alamos.  He went into private business buying salvage items from the government.  Included in the inventory are centrifuges, chemistry lab supplies, gas masks and more. 
Why am I talking about the Black Hole  when I am nowhere near New Mexico.  Sailor's Exchange in Jacksonville could be the nautical version of The Black's Hole.  Sailor's Exchange carries nautical décor, rope, charts, books, teak items, glass ware and plates and more. 
Mr. Adventure found a 2012 Florida chart for $40.  They typically sell for $100 or more.  He also found some tubes for holding fishing rods that we can attach to the boat.  I found a painting of a lighthouse that I hope to use somewhere on the boat. It reminds me of my youth in the seventies because of it's psychedelic  nature.  We were told that the artist works for Sailor's Exchange in St. Augustine.


Sails





Books

Charts

decorative items

Lots and lots of line

Immersion suits for a great price!
Cute melamine dishware

Glassware

Wooden accessories
Care to take a guess as to when this came out?

Ship in a bottle
 

No comments:

Post a Comment