Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday



There are so many things for which to be thankful.  Being thankful for things today just does not feel right.  Lately the scripture I have been reading has focused on being thankful in all circumstances, a concept with which I wrestle.  According to the scripture that I have read recently, Christians should be thankful in everything-the good--and yes the bad.  

A few years ago I had an unfortunate accident while white water rafting in which I broke my leg.  I was not thankful for this situation, in fact, I was about as far from thankful as one could get.  I was angry and in pain--a difficult combination of feelings.  The athletic sense of pride in me was humbled by the fact that I could not walk the simplest of activities in my mind.   I became dependent upon my husband and my daughters for most everything.   Over time, I began to develop a sense of awareness and concern for others who lacked mobility-- permanently.  My leg would heal in twelve weeks, but others I met, would not be healed. 

Unfortunately, I did not "rejoice always" or "consider it pure joy" as the scripture below encourages. 
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV) 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

James 1:2-4 (NIV) Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18(NIV) 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Today, I can be thankful for how the difficult situations have taught me lessons I might not have otherwise learned.  I can pray that I start to be thankful during all circumstances in the future. 

One last verse for today that is thought provoking…

John 16:33   I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart: I have overcome the world. 











No comments:

Post a Comment